What Is the GIANT Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece?
The GIANT is a dark mouthpiece with excellent projection, easy altissimo register and yet can be played with a warm versatile feel. The JodyJazz GIANT Tenor Saxophone mouthpiece is free blowing, with a touch of resistance to give the sound more character. An easy and fun to play mouthpiece the Giant captures the full range of tonal qualities of the instrument. The GIANT has a dark, big sound with strong projection and cut. The JodyJazz GIANT is excellent for Jazz, Straight Ahead, Bebop, Big Band, even Rock, Funk, and Blues. Due to its versatility, it can blend nicely with a concert band or saxophone quartet. In other words the GIANT is a great saxophone mouthpiece that seems to appeal to a very broad variety of players. The thing to remember is that no two players are alike so that it’s all about finding the mouthpiece that responds to your morphology (physical makeup). Morphology means that you have a chamber in your mouth and throat, that reacts with the mouthpiece so some people sound better with a large chamber mouthpiece like the JodyJazz GIANT and some people sound better with a smaller chamber piece like the JodyJazz DV.
“With the new Giant we offer the saxophone world a classic Jazz mouthpiece for all time. Big Beautiful Sound – you won’t want to stop playing. - Jody Espina, President
We are excited to introduce an all-new series called the ‘Giant’.
Made on our five-axis CNC mill in our factory in Savannah, The JodyJazz Giant tenor saxophone mouthpiece has been developed to offer a warm sounding high performance metal mouthpiece with the shape of Hard Rubber. Aviation Grade Anodized Aluminum provides the perfect tone and the ability to manufacture with extremely high tolerances.
Four Goals in Creating the JodyJazz GIANT Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece
- To capture the very best of our popular HR* hard rubber line of mouthpieces and then through 3D modeling take it to the next level.
- To create a tenor sax mouthpiece that is both warm and dark but with has a huge sound at the same time.
- To make a metal mouthpiece with the same cutting edge technology as our DV sax mouthpieces, but costs less to produce since we don’t 24kt Gold Plate the Hard Anodized Aluminum.
- To demand and achieve the most rigorous QUALITY CONTROL possible. Each mouthpiece is individually play tested by Jody Espina or one of our professional saxophonists on staff to insure a perfect seal with the reed and proper response throughout the range of the saxophone.
What Does The GIANT Do?
- Big Warm Complex Sound
- Free Blowing with a touch of resistance
- Extremely even sound throughout the range of the saxophone
- Responsive in all registers
- Power and Projection
- Good for all styles of music
How Does The GIANT Do It?
- Large Chamber
- Precision - CNC Machined
- New facing curve
- Hand finished baffle and tip rail
- Play tasted by Jody Espina or one of our professional saxophonists
- Unique material – Anodized Aluminum
The GIANT Difference
- 5 Axis CNC Machining - Allows for extremely precise manufacturing and repeatability.
- Unique Design - The unique inner and outer shape of the JodyJazz GIANT Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece gives it a unique sound and feel. This is a unique chamber design.
- Hand Finished - Each GIANT mouthpiece is hand finished to ensure the absolute best quality and is individually play tested to ensure a perfect seal with the reed and proper response throughout the range of the saxophone.
A Giant Step for Your Sound
- not loud, BIG
The Giant has a large chamber and a large sound. This tenor saxophone mouthpiece is somewhat unique in the fact that normally to get a lot of projection you have to have a smaller chamber, which gives you a brighter more cutting sound. And when a mouthpiece has a larger chamber the sound becomes warmer but the projection goes way down. Another way to say that is that large chamber saxophone mouthpieces are typically quieter. But the Giant has a large chamber and huge warm sound due to the following unique factors that make up the Giant: Material – Anodized Aluminum, Facing Curve – this is a brand new facing curve that allows maximum reed vibration, Baffle – this is the material inside the mouthpiece right next to the tip rail (extremely important for projection), Chamber Shape – The Giant has it’s own unique chamber shape which is allowing warmth with projection.
- not focused, COMPLEX
The Giant produces a sound that has a core and more. There are many aspects to a saxophone sound and when we say a mouthpiece has a focused sound we mean that you hear more core to the sound than anything. The chamber and material combination of the Giant are allowing it to create a sound that can be shaped by the player and ultimately have many interesting and complex aspects to the sound creating unique beauty to your saxophone sound.
- not vintage, TIMELESS
There are so many Jazz saxophone mouthpieces on the market today that are simply trying to recreate mouthpieces of the past. When making the Giant we did not have this goal in mind although we think that those players wishing to evoke the sound of Classic Jazz mouthpieces should look at the Giant. But rather we were trying to move into the future using state of the art manufacturing techniques, new material and new ideas to create a new Classic Jazz Sound.
- Stealth Metal
The Giant has the outside shape and look of a hard rubber mouthpiece but the Anodized Aluminum material gives it the precision of a metal mouthpiece. CNC machined to exact tolerances. The large chamber is expertly hand finished to produce an extraordinarily full sound.