From Bach to Bebop: A Corrective Approach to Jazz Phrasing
By Hal Galper
A revolutionary breakthrough in jazz education!
- The core of the book is the crucial role that rhythmic phrasing has in creating an authentic “jazz feeling.” Hal was the pianist with Cannonball Adderley, Phil Woods, John Scofield, Chet Baker and many other jazz greats. A master musician as well as educator.
- Hal shows how many people don't swing because they are thinking of the “one” as the start of each phrase, instead of the resolution of phrases - an idea that can radically transform people's ability to play jazz correctly!
Also complete chapters on:
- Melody guidetones as the underpinning of successful solos.
- How to line up the strongest notes of each chord with the strong beats of each measure, another essential idea.
- Resolving arpeggios so that you create forward motion in your lines.
- How to correctly use chromatic embellishments to add spice to your solos. And much more!